Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy tumble mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sage!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-no cost for gluten-absolutely free)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-goal flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk (or broth)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start out cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a big saucepan around medium warmth and prepare dinner till it starts off to flip a mild golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkling in the flour, mix in the garlic and sage and prepare dinner, mixing, right until it turns a mild golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Include the milk, deliver to a simmer, mixing, and prepare dinner until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat, incorporate the cheese and let it soften into the sauce.
- Mix in the nutmeg, mustard, and butternut squash puree before seasoning with salt and pepper to flavor.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking drinking water.
- Combine the pasta into the sauce, optionally adding some of the reserved cooking h2o to thin the sauce out, if preferred.
Possibility: Use your favourite cheese or mix of cheeses. I like solid cheddar or gruyere, fontiona, etcetera. together with parmesan, pecorino, etcetera. Blue cheese is incredible with butternut squash!
Alternative: Insert 4 ounces product cheese in addition to the shredded cheese!
Choice: Top rated with a crispy breadcrumb topping! (Melt 1/4 cup butt in a pan, increase 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, combine and prepare dinner till flippantly golden brown before sprinkling around the mac and cheese!
Solution: Garnish with crispy butter fried sage!
Alternative: Garnish with bacon, or pancetta, or sausage, or shredded pepperoni! (Fried right up until crispy!)
Selection: Garnish with sauteed mushrooms!
Selection: Garnish with pepitas!