This family-friendly recipe for tater tot casserole is an easy, cheesy, hearty way to feed a crowd!
This is a quick, creamy, and really easy casserole recipe with layers of ground beef, veggies, cheese, and (of course) tater tots. It’s all baked until browned and bubbly.
We love how easy this recipe is to prepare and everyone loves it!
Easy Tater Tot Casserole
- Tater tot casserole is a classic comfort food that everyone loves.
- If you have tater tots, you likely have all of the ingredients on hand.
- This casserole is inexpensive to prepare and extra veggies can stretch the meal further.
- This meal only needs 15 minutes of prep and can be prepared ahead of time.
- Great as a meal on its own or serve with a quick side salad.
Ingredients in Tater Tot Casserole
Ground Beef: Lean ground beef is the base of this recipe but use any type of ground meat, like ground turkey, will work. Rotisserie chicken or meatballs are great too.
Sauce: Cream of mushroom soup makes an easy sauce for this casserole recipe. Any “cream of” soup will work just fine in this recipe such as cream of chicken soup.
Add extra flavor with any of the following: garlic powder, onion powder, or Worcestershire sauce.
Vegetables: I most often use fresh veggies (and frozen corn or peas) but frozen mixed vegetables are a great quick option. Add in your favorites from mushrooms to green beans.
- As a breakfast casserole, use ground breakfast sausage, diced country ham, or bacon bits.
- Canned soups can be replaced with gravy (or canned gravy) or even condensed tomato soup.
- Homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup can be used in this casserole.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This is such an easy tater tot casserole recipe, the prep takes about 15 minutes!
- Brown ground beef & onion in a large skillet.
- Mix veggies, soup, milk, seasonings, & beef in a baking dish. Top with frozen tater tots & cover with cheese.
- Bake per the recipe below until the cheese is bubbly & tater tots are browned on top.
Tater tot casserole can be made in the crock pot as well!
Leftovers & Storage
- Keep tater tot casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave and serve for a quick school or workday lunch (or in the oven if you’d like the tots to stay crispy).
- Freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 weeks.
- Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Favorite Casserole Recipes
Did you make this Tater Tot Casserole? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Classic Tater Tot Casserole
Cheesy, saucy, and loaded with hearty ingredients, Tater Tot Casserole is comfort food at its finest!
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
In a bowl mix the vegetables, soup, milk, seasonings, beef mixture, and ½ cup shredded cheese. Spread into a 3qt (or 9×13-inch) casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Top with tater tots and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the tots are golden brown.
Frozen vegetables should be thawed first or they will add extra cook time to the recipe. Any variation or mixture of vegetables can be added.
Canned mushroom soup can be substituted with other “cream of” soups, gravy, or even a can of gravy or tomato soup.
Any size casserole dish can be used for this recipe. A deeper dish may need a little bit of extra cooking time.
This casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated. If chilled from the fridge, it will require extra baking time.
Calories: 606 | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1326mg | Potassium: 939mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3492IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 337mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.